A Howell James & Company Brass and Porcelain Desk Postal Letter Scale, Regent St. London, Circa 1880.
It is Decorated with Two Hand Painted Porcelain Plaques Depicting Cherubs.
It is in Full Working Order and Includes the Original Complete Set of Stacking Weights (5 in Total) in the Cradle at the Front.
A Fabulous Example in Excellent Condition Dating Circa 1880.
Signed Across the Balance, Howell James & Company Regent Street London.
Howell James & Company were a firm of jewelers and silversmiths based in Regent Street in London which operated between 1819 and 1911. The firm Howell and James was founded in 1819 by James Howell and Isaac James who were originally silk mercers and retail jewelers. The company had premises at 5, 7 and 9 Regent Street and was noted for the variety and quality of its stock. In 1838 James left the business and the partnership then became known as Howell James & Co. By 1865 the firm employed over 140 women, most of whom lived above the shop. The firm exhibited in London, at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and at the 1862 International Exhibition, and in Paris and the International Exposition of 1867. It sold items by students and designers of the South Kensington School. At the London exhibitions of 1871 and 1872 the company exhibited jewellery by C.L. Eastlake, M. D. Wyatt, F. Leighton and L. F. Day. The company's 1878 Paris Exhibition stand was designed by Day. In 1889, company employee J. Llewellyn moved to Liberty & Co taking with him exclusive selling rights. In 1881 the premises were reconstructed and these incorporated art pottery galleries. An exhibition was staged, of architectural faience, produced to the designs of M. B. Adams by Burmantofts. In 1884 the company became a limited company and their name changed to Howell & James Ltd.